More people are praising one meal a day diet. With OMAD, you can just eat anything. But if you want to lose weight, you still need to be mindful of what to eat on OMAD. Otherwise, you’ll still struggle to shed some pounds.
What to Eat on OMAD?
The idea behind OMAD is that you can only eat one meal a day. One of the reasons many people are attracted to this diet is that it allows them to eat anything.
But we all know that if you eat anything without heeding the calories you consume, you’re still going to gain weight. Keep in mind that weight loss is still about the calories you eat and the calories you burn.
If you’re wondering what should you be eating on OMAD, there’s one thing you need to consider. That is, you must only eat nutrient-dense foods.
Keep in mind that you can’t eat or drink anything but water during the 23-hour period. Hence, you must choose to eat satiating foods. In that way, you won’t feel the hunger pangs during the fasting window.
What Should You Eat on OMAD?
Your one meal should include a high amount of healthy fats, a moderate amount of protein, and limited carbs.
Here are some foods you should be focusing on when on OMAD:
They are high in protein and healthy fats. One boiled large egg can be satiating. You can prepare an omelet with vegetables. Kale and spinach are good options.
There are several studies showing that energy density can impact satiety. Experts recommend eating food with lower energy densities.
And eggs are categorized to have a low-energy-density. The studies also found that eating an egg-based breakfast enhanced weight loss.
It’s a fatty fish full of healthy fats.
Healthy fats, per se, are energy providers. They are the last to leave your digestive tract. As a result, they provide satiety.
Eating salmon on your one meal can help you feel fuller longer. It means that you can last for 23 hours without eating anything. Or you can have tuna. It’s also packed with a high amount of healthy fats. In a regular can, you can get 5 grams of fat.
To get more healthy fats, do the following:
- Mash avocado and use it as a condiment. A medium avocado can provide 21 grams of fat. Plus, it’s bursting with 9 grams of fiber.
- Add nut butter when making a smoothie, instead of sweetener.
- Use olive oil on your salad. A teaspoon of this oil will give you 14 grams of fat. You may also drizzle olive oil over your unflavored yogurt.
- Choose nuts or seeds as toppings for your yogurt. Walnuts are great. An ounce serving of walnuts can give you 21 grams of fat. Plus, they are high in manganese and copper. Or you can have almonds. An ounce of almonds can give you 15 grams of fat. They are also rich in Vitamin E.
- Opt for dark chocolate for a sweet treat after eating. It boasts 11 grams of fat if you eat one ounce.
- Sprinkle flaxseed on your oatmeal. It’s a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. Per ounce, it can give you 9 grams of fat. It also contains insoluble and soluble fiber, which can improve satiety feeling.
- Eat a lot of tofu. It’s a plant-based protein that can give you a high amount of calcium and 4 grams of fat.
- Don’t forget chia seeds. They are small but they are high in fiber and fat. Per two tablespoons of chia seeds can provide 6 grams of fat. You can add these seeds to your smoothies or oatmeal.
- If you’re not sure how to prepare a meal that’s satiating it won’t make you feel hungry throughout the fasting period, you may try one of these OMAD Meal Ideas.
Should You Eat Anything?
The answer is no. Even though many people are attracted to OMAD because they can eat anything, it’s not a good idea.
Eating anything can only sabotage your weight loss goal. Instead, you should only eat nutrient-dense food. Don’t eat highly processed food as it can only make you crave more food.
You should also avoid drinking anything. Although some experts recommend drinking tea or coffee, it may not be a good idea if you wish to achieve autophagy.
To be safe, you should only consider drinking water and nothing else during the fasting period.
How About Exercise?
You may exercise when following the OMAD diet. However, you may find it easier to fast if you exercise an hour before your mealtime. Because exercise causes energy consumption, you may feel hungry after working out.
However, it still depends on your lifestyle. You should experiment with what works best for you.
What to eat on OMAD? You should only focus on nutrient-dense food. It’s satiating and you can last for 23 hours without food. Find out more about what nutrients you should be eating when on OMAD.