Many want to start losing weight now. After learning they can lose weight with intermittent fasting, they want to know what schedule they can use. With so many methods, what is the best intermittent fasting schedule for weight loss?
Keep reading to know more.
What is the Best Intermittent Fasting Schedule for Weight Loss?
Sadly, there’s no one best intermittent fasting schedule for everyone. It depends on your lifestyle and what works for you.
If you have not started IF yet, here are the methods you can try so you can find out which schedule is ideal for you. Keep in mind that you need to choose a method that you can follow.
Fasting for 16 Hours a Day
This is a popular option. It gives you 8 hours of eating period. But this is the method you can try if you have done shorter fasts already, like 12:12.
Most people who choose this schedule finish their last meal by 8 p.m. Then, they don’t eat until noon the next day.
In an animal study, limiting their feeding window for 8 hours could protect them from diabetes, inflammation, and liver disease.
Fasting for 23 Hours
It’s called OMAD. With this method, you can only eat one meal a day. It doesn’t matter what time you choose your meal. What matters most is you have to follow it every time.
For instance, if your first meal is at 8 pm, you need to do it every night. You can’t eat until 8 pm the following day.
Fasting for 24 Hours
This is also known as alternate day fasting. Some people do eat up to 500 calories during their fasting period. However, some want to be strict.
To those who wish to be strict, they don’t eat solid foods on their fasting days.
With this method, you can lose an average of 5.2 kilograms over 12 weeks.
However, you should remember that this is an extreme form of OMAD. It’s not suitable for beginners.
If you have not tried IF yet, you should not begin with this method. Otherwise, you’re likely to fail.
Furthermore, it may not be sustainable for you in the long run. Hence, if you wish to do alternate day fasting, make sure to try shorter forms of fasting first.
How to Make Intermittent Fasting Work for You?
Intermittent fasting is challenging. That’s why you need to try out the shorter form first before venturing to longer fasts.
When you start IF though, make sure to consider these things:
- Hydration. You should stay hydrated during your fasting period. Some people drink herbal teas and other calorie-free drinks. However, others will choose to just drink water.
- Avoid thinking about food. A few hours after your last meal, you can’t stop thinking about food. Hence, you need plenty of distractions. Avoid looking at your social media feed. Simply choose to walk. Make yourself busy.
- Rest. During your fasting hours, you must avoid strenuous activities. But you can do yoga. It’s a light exercise that can be beneficial for you. It makes you more mindful of what you do. With mindfulness, you can stop thinking about food.
- Choose the right food. To help you get through the day without eating, make sure to eat nutrient-dense foods. Opt for foods that are high in protein and healthful fats. And make sure to eat high-fiber food. You don’t have to avoid carbs. But make sure to eat complex carbs. Don’t grab those junk foods, like donuts.
- Count calories. Although intermittent fasting advantages don’t want you to think about the calories you take, it’s still vital to monitor your calorie intake. This is especially true if you are trying to lose weight.
Who Should Not Try Intermittent FAsting?
Intermittent fasting isn’t for everyone. It’s especially true for longer fasting hours. If you are diabetic, make sure to talk to your doctor before following this eating plan. Keep in mind that when you fast, it lowers your glucose level. Talk to your dietitian or a nutritionist to know more about whether it is safe for you to follow this plan.
If you are undergoing chemotherapy, you must not follow this eating plan without first talking to your doctor.
If you suffer from a certain medical condition, make sure to talk to your doctor before you embark on this journey. It’ll be pointless to follow it if you experience serious side effects.
How to Pick the Right Schedule?
You must choose an intermittent fasting schedule that works for your lifestyle. For instance, if you are frequently invited for dinner by your bosses or colleagues, then make sure to choose a fasting schedule that lets you eat at that time.
As mentioned, there’s no one best schedule for everyone. It always depends on your lifestyle and job.
What is the best intermittent fasting schedule for weight loss? It depends. You may have to experiment a bit before you can find a schedule that works best for you.
If you wish to try OMAD, here are some tips that you might want to follow.