Are caffeine pills illegal in the UK? Are they safe to use or should they be regulated? Let’s find out here.
Are Caffeine Pills Illegal in the UK?
Caffeine pills are legal in the UK. However, there are reports about these pills causing harm and even death. According to this report from BBC, Chris Wilcock died on the day he took caffeine supplements.
These pills are legally available and most of them are touted to reduce weight. The pills that Chris took were marketed as slimming aids. They are considered food supplements and not medicines. Thus, they are legal and you can find them anywhere online.
Generally, caffeine pills are safe. However, they are not created equal. Hence, if you wish to try them out, you need to find a reputable supplier to ensure that the pills are perfectly safe.
You should also consider caffeine pills with a moderate amount of caffeine. Keep in mind that caffeine overdose could cause high blood pressure, palpitations, vomiting, convulsions, and even death.
What are Caffeine Pills Anyway?
They are pills that contain caffeine, which is a popular stimulant. As a stimulant, it increases the central nervous system’s activity.
Unlike coffee and tea, caffeine pills may contain synthetic forms of caffeine.
Depending on the brand, the amount of caffeine may vary. In most cases, the pills may have 100 mg of caffeine per tablet.
When you consider such an amount, it’s more than most cups of coffee.
But the FDA states that people can safely take 400 mg of caffeine per day without experiencing negative effects.
As mentioned, caffeine pills are generally safe, only if they are taken in moderation. Remember that some individuals are more sensitive to caffeine. Others may experience adverse rations after taking caffeine supplements.
Why do People want to Take Caffeine Pills?
They are suitable for individuals who are looking for a natural stimulant without having to drink coffee.
Others want to try these pills because they contain a higher dose of caffeine.
And if you are sensitive to acidic drinks, drinking coffee may irritate your digestive tract. Thus, caffeine pills may be a better option.
How to Properly Use Caffeine Pills?
They are taken orally. But you need to follow the dosage instructions. Otherwise, you are likely to experience adverse reactions.
You must avoid taking more than the recommended dose. Even if you have a high caffeine tolerance, some of the ingredients in the pills may cause serious negative effects.
Caffeine pills may also interact with drugs that treat the following conditions:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
What are the Benefits of Using Caffeine Pills?
When you study or work, caffeine can help improve your alertness and concentration. In a 2014 study, researchers found that those who are taking caffeine pills did better on memory tests.
Caffeine may also improve your athletic performance. Taking caffeine can affect your endurance and muscle strength, thereby, improving your exercise performance.
But you should not use caffeine before any competition. The reason for this is that taking 8 cups of coffee can result in a positive urine drug test. That’s why the NCAA banned the use of any form of caffeine before a game.
Alternatives to Caffeine
Yes, there are alternatives to caffeine that you can take to boost your focus or improve your memory.
- Peppermint, for instance, can be a great alternative to caffeine. It’s invigorating that gives you the right kick. This tea is also great for digestion.
- Taking B vitamins can also help. Just like caffeine, it works with the nervous system. This vitamin keeps your nervous system healthy.
- A cold shower will also help you get an energy boost. Many people find cold showers to help them feel more alert.
- Chai tea may still contain caffeine but the content is less than compared to your regular cup of coffee. What’s great about this tea is that it support your blood sugar levels.
- A smoothie with energy-boosting ingredients can give you an energy boost in the morning. Try adding MCT oil, almond butter, and sliced avocado. Then, don’t forget to add blueberries and a scoop of protein powder.
- Hydration is also a great caffeine alternative. Keep in mind that brain fog is one of the symptoms of dehydration. Thus, hydrating your body well will help you feel more alert.
- Exercise before your busy day starts. Working out is an ideal way to get your blood flowing. It will help you feel energized.
In this post, we have answered the question “are caffeine pills illegal in the UK.” Even though they are legal and safe, you need to choose the seller. Make sure that the pills are from a reputable company. Check out here if caffeine pills are safer than coffee.