What is the Dukan Diet? It is one of the many questions of those who wish to shed pounds faster and improve their health and wellness. These individuals (including me) are intrigued about it. After all, Kate Middleton and her mom are said to be followers of this diet. But what is it exactly?
Dukan Diet is considered as the French permanent weight loss solution. It involves eating high-protein foods. When you follow it, you cannot consume bread and fruits, at least while in the early stages.
During the first phase, there are only 72 allowed foods that you can choose from. You cannot eat carbs, even if they are from fruits and vegetables.
The Dukan diet began in 2010.
However, the idea of this health and wellness strategy came from the low-carb, high-protein diet plan of Pierre Dukan, a general practitioner focusing in weight management, published in France in 2000.
Although it was still new, this diet plan grew a huge following with a little help from its well-known followers.
As mentioned above, Kate Middleton reportedly used it. This diet was stated to be the reason she dropped two dress sizes before her Royal wedding.
Dr. Dukan was inspired by an obese patient.
The patient declared that he could stop eating any food to lose weight but not meat.
When Dr. Dukan published his book in 2000, it became a bestseller. It helped people in achieving their weight loss goals without getting hungry.
What are the Phases of the Dukan Diet?
It can last up to 10 days. This phase guarantees to give you the immediate outcome.
But at this phase, you can only eat 72 foods that are high in protein and no carbs.
What foods to eat during the attack phase of the Dukan diet?
You can consume lean pork, veal, beef, bison, and venison.
- For poultry, you can eat it in moderation but avoid the skin.
- All types of fish and shellfish are allowed.
- You can also eat eggs, tongue, liver, and kidney.
- Non-fat dairy products are allowed but up to 32 ounces per day only.
- Tofu and tempeh, as well as seitan, are allowed.
- You must drink a minimum of 1.5 L of water a day and 1.5 tbsp of oat bran each day.
- You can drink lemon juice and eat pickles but in small amounts.
In here, you will be eating carbs but they are still restricted.
You are given 28 pre-approved veggies. You will stay in this phase until you hit your weight loss goal.
It alternates between two days.
On day one, you can only eat foods allowed on the attack stage. But on day two, you can consume allowed foods on the attack phase and you can add the following veggies:
- Leafy greens such as lettuce, kale, and spinach
- Bell peppers, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cabbages, and cauliflower
- Artichokes, cucumbers, eggplant, celery, tomatoes, mushrooms, green beans, spaghetti squash, onions, and shallots, as well as leeks
- You can eat pumpkin turnips and a serving of carrots and beets a day. Plus, you have two tablespoons of oat bran a day.
- You can only add a teaspoon of oil to your meal plan, either in salad dressing or greasing pans.
Those forbidden foods are reintroduced gradually. You can have two celebration or cheat meals per week. That is, you can eat anything but with some restrictions.
- For fruits, you can eat a serving of fruit a day. A great example is a cup of berries or a medium apple.
- Bread is allowed but you can only eat two slices. It must be whole grain bread. It is okay to add a little of butter or spread.
- You can eat a serving of cheese per day. Starches are allowed but only two servings a week.
- For meat, you can eat pork, ham or roast lamb. But you can only consume up to twice a week.
- During the celebration meals, you can have a dessert and a glass of wine.
- For your protein meal, you can only eat foods that are allowed during the attack phase.
- It is mandatory to eat 2.5 tablespoons of oat bran.
You could reintroduce carbs to your meal plan but only if you have not gained the weight you lost during the previous stages.
- At this phase, you can eat anything. To plan your meals for this stage, you may use the consolidation stage.
- Then, consider having one pure protein foods day per week.
- Each day, make sure to consume oat bran.
Is Honey Allowed on the Dukan Diet?
Having a sweet tooth on the Dukan diet can be a great challenge. You can take RAW Honey and coconut palm sugar. But only in limited amounts.
Is There Scientific Evidence on the Dukan Diet?
It is limited. But in this study, it showed that subjects lost 33 pounds of weight within just 10 weeks. They consumed around 1,0000 calories and 100 grams of protein each day.
Other studies also revealed that following a high-protein, low-carb diet could result in significant weight loss.
But is protein helpful in losing weight?
One of the reasons several health experts recommend increasing protein consumption is that it boosts calories burned.
When you are increasing your protein intake, your body converts protein and fat into glucose because carbs are limited. This process is known as gluconeogenesis.
According to this study, your metabolic rate also heightens significantly when you consume high-protein.
Furthermore, protein has the ability to decrease your hunger hormone while it raises the satiety hormone. As a result, you eat less.
Keto vs Dukan
Both diets ban or limit carb intake. But Dukan diet restricts fat as well.
Those who consumed fat with high-protein but low-carb burned 69 more calories compared to those who did not eat fat.
During the first stages of this diet, your fiber consumption is low, even though you need to eat a daily serving of oat bran.
Dukan Diet is like any other diets. That is, it has restrictions and rules.
If you are someone who does not like to be told, then this diet is not for you. However, you will appreciate it if you like being told on what to do.
As always, it is ideal that you check with your doctor.